1. Why does Markinson kills himself, rather than testifying? How does this connect to the theme of honor and bravery?
2. There are two turning-points in the film – when Kaffee decides to enter the plea of non-guilty and when he decides to call Commander Jessup to the stand. What influences him, in both cases, to go against his initial instincts and make these risky decisions?
3. How does Kaffee manipulate Jessup into admitting that he ordered the code red?
4. Why does Jessup feel as if he did nothing wrong? How did he, in fact, violate the Marine code of displaying honor and bravery?
5. What is the significance of Dawson saluting Kaffee after the trial?