5-1 Discussion: Antisocial Behavior
In a conversation with a family member, you are told: “Bad people do bad things. Some people are just bad eggs.” For this discussion, you will incorporate what you have learned about antisocial behavior and its implications for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
First, title your post “Antisocial Behavior.”
For your initial post, review the videos What Is the Definition of Microaggression? and If Microaggressions Happened to White People. Then answer the following questions:
- Are microaggressions real or imagined? Discuss the implications of statements such as “You shouldn’t take offense” and “Oh stop—you’re being too sensitive” on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To what extent can we excuse a person’s motivation to participate in riots or tendency to bully others when it’s an aspect of group behavior? Discuss the implications of group mentality on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Racial stereotyping and discrimination are antisocial behaviors. Given the impact of learning on human behavior, what is the first step that a person could take to unlearn discriminatory behavior and adopt a more accepting and inclusive attitude toward all people?
- Our conception of bad eggs might inadvertently categorize people into specific social groups. How can we reframe the “bad” in people to view them through a less discriminatory and more inclusive, humanistic lens?
How does the concept of antisocial behavior apply to any of the following programmatic course themes:
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence
- Career connections
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Post an article, video, or visual related to antisocial behavior to reinforce a peer’s idea or challenge them to see their point from a different perspective.
- Paraphrase something from the original post. Then consider asking a question or sharing your personal experience.
To complete this assignment, review the
Contribution to the Learning CommunityInitial post actively stimulates the discussion and growth of learning within the community by initiating constructive dialogue; posts reflect a clear focused point of view pertaining to subject matter that is supported by credible resources and is designed to motivate the group’s professional dialogue (100%)Initial post contributes to the learning community by initiating dialogue; posts reflect a clear point of view and are supported by credible resources (85%)Initial post somewhat contributes to the learning community, with an attempt to initiate dialogue; posts may reflect some challenges in communicating a clear point of view that may not be supported by credible resources (55%)Initial post does not contribute to the learning community, with no attempt to initiate dialogue; post does not reflect a clear point of view that is supported by credible resources (0%)25Relevance to Programmatic Themes: Self-Care,Social Justice,Emotional Intelligence,Career Connections,EthicsInitial post integrates multiple applicable programmatic themes and elaborates on how each theme relates to the discussion topic (100%)Initial post elaborates on how one or more applicable programmatic themes relate to the discussion topic (85%)Initial post attempts to integrate one or more applicable programmatic themes, which may relate to the discussion topic (55%)Initial post does not integrate one or more applicable programmatic themes (0%)25Advancement of DiscussionResponse posts significantly add to the learning community and advance the discussion by building upon peers’ initial posts; posts integrate multiple views from other learners and sources, views are applicable to content and professional practice, and they extend learning within the community (100%)Response posts add to the learning community and advance the discussion; posts integrate views from other learners and sources (85%)One or more response posts attempt to add to the learning community and provide content that somewhat advances the discussion (55%)One or more response posts do not add value to the learning community and fail to advance the discussion (0%)15Professional CommunicationPosts are clear and concise, and demonstrate respect and awareness of peers’ viewpoints; proper APA citation methods used where applicable, with minor errors in citations (100%)Posts are clear and concise, and demonstrate respect and awareness of peers’ viewpoints; proper APA citation methods used where applicable, with few errors in citations, grammar, and syntax (85%)Posts are understandable, and use proper APA citation methods where applicable, with a number of errors in citation, grammar, and syntax (55%)Posts lack clarity, contain numerous grammar and syntax errors, and/or do not use proper APA citation methods where applicable (0%)20TimelinessN/ASubmits initial post on time (100%)Submits initial post one day late (55%)Submits initial post two or more days late (0%)15Total:100