From what you have learned in this course, select a theoretical perspective that interests you the most. Please select one of the theoretical orientations covered in the lecture materials or required readings for this course. You must contact your instructor for permission to select any other orientation. In this assignment, you will conduct a literature search on that theoretical approach and develop a personalized plan for your continued development.
Conduct research and create a paper presenting and supporting your personal counseling theoretical preference (choosing from the major theories studied in this course). You should conduct a computerized literature search on the particular theoretical approach that feels like the best fit. Remember to select a theory that aligns with your worldview and your perspective of the best therapeutic relationship. References should be from empirical/scholarly works that support and further define the position. You should include the following in your paper:
- Summarize the fundamental elements of your theory of choice, including definitions of important terms and major historical figures associated with the theory.
- Explain how your personal worldview (e.g., core beliefs about others and the world) connects to your theory of choice.
- Explain how the therapeutic relationship aligns with your interpersonal style.
- Discuss how your theory of choice addresses the multicultural nature of our diversity.
- Present support for the effectiveness of your chosen theoretical approach by examining and analyzing the existing efficacy-based research. Include findings across age groups, gender, or multicultural groups.
- Discuss limitations of your chosen therapeutic approach, including any clients or presenting problems for which it may not be appropriate. Support your ideas with findings from existing research on the approach.
- Identify the ethical standards from the American Counseling Association’s (ACA’s) code of ethics (American Counseling Association [ACA], 2014) that apply to the use of an approach deemed unsuitable for a particular group or presenting problem. Discuss the harm that might be caused by applying an unsuitable approach.
- Provide an example of how you would apply a minimum of two specific theoretical techniques to a fictitious client’s need.
- Provide a plan for how you will continue to develop your knowledge and skills related to that theory.
Your final deliverable will be a Microsoft Word document approximately 8–10 pages in length. Utilize a minimum of seven scholarly references. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.