Calculating Flexible Budget Variances
Stellar Packaging Products is experiencing an increase in demand for the month of August as a result of Estrella Coffee’s comeback in its retail outlets. The following fact pattern forms the basis for the static budget:
Stellar Packaging Products
Variable Costs Total
Fixed Costs Total
Direct manufacturing labor
Indirect manufacturing labor
Factory Insurance & Utilities
Depreciation – Pressroom
Repairs and maintenance – factory
Selling, marketing & distribution expenses
General and administrative expenses
Variable Cost and Volume Data
Raw materials = 0.10 lbs x $2.00/lb.
Direct Labor = 0.025 hr x $10/hr.
Volume in units
Sales per unit are $3.00.
- In good form, prepare the static budget operating income in contribution format.
- Suppose actual sales demand increases to 700,000 units for August; assume the units are within the relevant range. Prepare the flexible budget for August in contribution format.
- Compute and reconcile the sales volume variance for August. Indicate whether the variance is favorable or unfavorable.
- In a one page composition, provide an explanation for the change in the sales volume variance for August, and identify the elements which give rise to the difference between the flexible and static budgets. Also explain the reason for completing a flexible budget for the period.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- 2-3 pages in total length
- Formatted according to APA format
- Document your sources