After watching the TED video and reading the section about the Sociological Imagination, take the viewpoint of an outside observer to examine your life.
First, pick one personal experience that was meaningful to you.
Second, pick a viewpoint different from your own. It can be another gender, race, nationality, or maybe someone from a different subculture. Finally, write about the three points listed below.
Write a 500 or more word paper discussing each assignment point listed below.
1) Describe the personal experience as an outsider might describe it. (hint: depending on what you choose and the perspective you choose, this may require a little research)
2) Describe how that experience was influenced by society structures (e.g. historical events, religion, or traditions)
3) Finally review the four main perspectives and theorists related to those perspectives. What theory most applies to the personal experience you described and why do you think this theory applies?
Your paper must include a title sheet and at least 2 outside references. You may use one reference from the internet but the 2nd reference must be from the Grantham University online library. Only the body of the paper will count in your word requirement.
To help you begin your first paper, I have given you an example of a personal experience, the structure that helped to shape this event, and the theory that I would apply to it. Although what is listed below is an outline, I would like you to write in paragraph form.
Personal experience: wedding
Viewpoint: perspective of a person from the subcontinent India
1) Description: Wedding itself was short, crowd was small, took place outside of hometown, and the bride wore white
2) Social Structure: institution of marriage, marriage laws, and religious traditions
3) What theory: functionalism Why this theory: functionalism supports social structure that is functional for society and marriage is functional for families and households