I must create a cover letter according to the job I a interested in. I must also update my resume or find skills that may be relevant to the job I listed that i am interested in.
Professional Cover Letter and Resume
Cover letters and resumes are recommended, and in some instances required, for job applications. If you want to stand out from other candidates, it is recommended that you write professional cover letters and resumes specifically tailored for each position you apply to. To begin, identify a position that interests you as a potential career opportunity.
- Developing a Strong Cover Letter: Cover letters allow you to clarify, detail, and expand on your most relevant skills and competencies. In addition, a cover letter allows you to showcase your written communication skills.
- Using the job description, identify three skills or qualifications that match your background and type them out.
- Next, using the format suggestions from both the webinar and cover letter sample, create a three- to four-sentence paragraph that communicates the three matching skills and/or competencies you would like to highlight for the employer. The goal is to tailor the body of your cover letter to the position you seek.
- It is important that you have a compelling cover letter. To write an impactful cover letter, you need to answer the following questions before you begin composing it. Starting with these questions will help provide a clear and concise message for the person reading your cover letter.
- Why are you interested in the position? Consider what makes the position, organization, or company of interest to you.
- What three skills or competencies do you possess that match the skills the employer is seeking in a candidate?
- You can find these skills by viewing the job description. These specific skills are the reason every cover letter should be unique for each job for which you apply.
- The Cover Letters resource contains step-by step instructions for creating a cover letter including: formatting suggestions, tips regarding how to highlight your best skills and qualification and how to tailor your letter for specific job you wish to apply to.
- For more in-depth guidance for writing a cover letter, please watch the Creating a Compelling Cover Letter webinar.
Developing a Strong Resume: Creating a strong resume is an important component of successful job searches. Your resume, along with your cover letter, serves as your personal marketing document and your first impression to prospective employers. To create a strong resume, you must first identify the message you want the reader to receive and determine the skills and qualifications you would like to highlight on your resume. What you highlight, is generally based on the position you would like to apply to. A resume allows to you demonstrate your ability to attend to details and to distinguish relevant from irrelevant information.
To prepare your resume:
- Watch the Creating a Winning Resume webinar to help prepare you for creating or updating your resume.
- Login to My Career through your Student Portal. Revisit your career goal and identify the top 3-5 skills or qualifications that make you a strong candidate for this career/position.
- If you already have a resume: Use the resume resources and sample resumes to update your resume and target the industry or occupation you are seeking.
- If you do not have a resume: Use the resume resources and this resume template to develop an initial resume, and target the resume to the industry or occupation you are seeking.
Note: You may choose the position you selected in the Week 1 Post Your Introduction Discussion 1 for this assignment as long as you did not received any feedback from your instructor that your choice was not appropriate.
- If you already have a resume: use the resume resources and sample resumes to update your resume and target the industry or occupation you are seeking.
- If you do not have a resume: use the resume resources and this resume template to develop an initial resume, and target it to the industry or occupation you are seeking.
Basic Responsibilities for job I am interested in:
NC START is a crisis prevention and intervention service for adults and children with I/DD and mental health diagnoses. It is a multi-systemic approach providing consultation, education, and hands-on training for community about how best to serve people with I/DD and mental health diagnoses.
• Implement person-specific therapeutic interventions within an individual’s home and communicate the benefit of these interventions to primary caregivers
• Serve children age 6-17 and their families with community based, hands-on training.
• Offer consultation and hands-on education with entire family/support system to create a safe, nurturing, and meaningful environment for families and individuals with developmental disabilities
• Maintains professional boundaries with clients and follows ethical and licensing guidelines.
• Monitors individuals for any mental health or behavioral symptoms and provides crisis prevention, intervention and de-escalation supports in accordance with crisis guidelines and person’s plan.
• Participates in development and implementation of persons’ cross system crisis prevention plan.
• Plans, structures and prompts social and leisure time activities, including activities that build skills for behavior management, stress management, communication, adaptive living and daily living.
• Serves as a positive representative for agency with other professionals, families and the community.
• Maintains timely documentation, progress notes, and other data, including incident and accident reports.
• Responds to individual safety needs, including reporting significant changes in behavior and health.
• Must demonstrate capacity to effectively communicate verbally and in written form.
• Bachelors’ degree in human services field from an accredited institution.
• One year experience working with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities and/or mental health diagnoses.