You have been given the task of writing an ongoing article for the upcoming staff newsletters. You are researching and developing special treatments for the dual-diagnosed clients who you will be treating at your new facility. There are many combinations of this type of client; one example would be a client with alcoholism and a depressive disorder.
- Pick 1 combination, and discuss how this particular client’s needs will be met by the treatment you will provide him or her.
- Given permission by the client, how will you discuss this with the client and his or her family or significant others?
- Note that after this is discussed at the next staff meeting, you will be placing the presentation notes in the next staff newsletter. This will be in the form of a short formal paper.
You should include the following for this assignment:
- Title page
- 600–800 words of content
- References, including at least 2 scholarly sources dated within the last year
Your state is considering passage of a statute that exempts possession and use of marijuana from prosecution if it is used for medical purposes. One of the cases that has been used to support the statute is that of Regina S., a 65-year-old woman, who has a son who has been undergoing treatment for cancer. The chemotherapy treatment made her son nauseous and he was in pain. Prescribed medication was not working, and Regina read that marijuana might be of help to her son. Regina is a gardener and decided to start growing marijuana in her back yard in order to give it to her son. The marijuana helped his nausea and discomfort. Your supervisor has asked you to write a short memo on marijuana and medical marijuana issues. You cover the following issues:
- What is the history of the prohibition of marijuana in the U.S?
- Explain how the U.S. and many state governments categorize controlled substances into Schedules I-V. In which Schedule is marijuana classified? Why?
- Identify and describe the effects of marijuana use on the brain and behavior.
- Is marijuana addictive? Support your answer with research.
- Are there scientific studies that support a finding that marijuana use can have medical benefits? If so, what are those findings?
- Do you support medical marijuana legislation? What about legislation permitting recreational use? Use research evidence to support your answer.
Use the Internet and Library databases in your research. Be sure to cite all references.
If you use sources to support your discussion, please cite your sources.