This week you looked at evaluating media messages. In this assignment, you will put what you learned into action and also provide some examples.
Do the following:
- Make a list of advertisements you like and specify why you like them.
- If the advertisement is for a product, state whether you buy the products in those advertisements and whether your decision to buy is influenced by those advertisements. If the advertisement calls you to act in some way, such as watching a television program, voting for a candidate, participating in a charity event, etc., does it work? Have you followed through with what you were being encouraged to do?
- Identify a category of products where advertisements have more influence on your buying decisions than with other products.
- How many times in the last week or so did you think about something you needed or wanted to buy?
- Explain where these needs and wants come from and whether advertising plays any role in them at all.
Write your initial response in one to two paragraphs. Give reasons in support of your responses. Be sure to cite any relevant sources.