Leadership and Nursing Care Management, Elsevier-Saunders, 2013, 5th edition
- Read Chapters 17,18,26.
This assessment requires you to use information from your assigned readings, the literature and leaders in your organization to answer the following questions. If you are not currently employed by an organization, gather information from a nurse leader or quality management colleague.
- What are the organization’s quality program goals and objectives?
- What is the organization’s quality management structure? If there is not a formal structure, who is responsible for quality management in the organization?
- How are quality improvement projects selected, managed and monitored? Does nursing staff have any input?
- State if quality improvement inservice programs are available for staff in your facility and describe a brief overview of the content.
- What quality methodology and quality tools/techniques are utilized? Are they effective? Why or why not? Provide rationale.
- How are QI activities and processes communicated to staff? Is the communication effective? How could it be improved?
- How does the organization evaluate QI activities for effectiveness? What is the process when the QI activity is not effective?
- Provide 2 examples of a QI initiative that has been effective in your organization. Describe the QI process that occurred. What was the impact on patient outcomes? Did it result in a change in practice?
- Correlate a model of healthcare performance and quality to your organization.
- Identify the nurse’s role in measuring, monitoring and improving health care quality and safety.
- Discuss terms and concepts related to health care quality and safety.
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.
Unless otherwise specified, all the written assignment must follow APA 6th edition formatting, citations and references. Click here to download the Microsoft Word APA 6th edition template. Make sure you cross-reference the APA 6th edition book as well before submitting the assignment.