Key Messages and Themes
In literary fiction, these elements are sometimes subtle; other times, they are very obvious.
In this assignment, you will explore The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (accessible through this Web site). Read the first eight paragraphs of Chapter 1 of the story. Then, use the provided templateto create a PowerPoint presentation of 5-6 slides (include speaker notes) that addresses the following: LOW OV SCORE WITH SOURCES, AND IN TEXT CITATIONS
- Who are the two characters named in this passage? What can you tell about them based on their names alone? Does the author reveal any other details about these characters?
- Based on the details the author provides, what do you learn about the room described? Does this sound like a place you have ever visited? Why or why not?
- Notice the language. Do you think this story takes place in a modern time? Why or why not?
- Based on this passage, are you interested in reading more of this story? Why or why not?
- Who is telling the story? What is the point of view?