Mobile computing has dramatically changed how information is accessed and shared. Wireless networking has been an enabler of mobile computing. One profession that mobile computing has had a big impact on is health care management. Patients are now able to monitor their vital signs such as blood pressure, glucose levels, etc. without having to periodically visit a doctor’s office or hospital. There are devices such as the Withings Blood Pressure Monitor that works with an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to record, track, and graph a patient’s blood pressure. There are other devices that can measure blood glucose levels, oxygen levels, heart rate, etc. and use an iPhone to send the results to a clinical server. Doctors and caregivers are then able to access the data on the clinical server. According to the American College of Gastroenterology, social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are used as powerful platforms to deliver and receive health care information. Patients and caregivers are increasingly going online to connect and share experiences with others with similar medical issues or concerns Patients are able to take advantage of social networks to do more than just share pictures and tweets. Write a four page paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast monitoring of patient vital signs using mobile computing technology to in-patient visits to the doctor’s office or hospital.
- Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using mobile computing technology to monitor patients.
- Assess the security concerns with regard to the transmission of personal medical information over wireless networks.
- Assess the use of social networking for group support for patients with similar medical concerns.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.