This lab will allow you to test some unknown mineral samples in a virtual online environment. You will conduct tests for hardness, streak, magnetism, and effervescence. You will need to download the mineral identification key and a blank data sheet for recording your work.
Visit the Rocks and Minerals Identification website and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Notice the tabs numbered 1 through 20; these represent different samples that you can test. You will only test sample numbers 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, and 20.
- Click the tab to access sample number 1.
- Learn the hardness of sample 1 by clicking the hardness numbers, 1 through 10. Record the hardness range of the sample in your data sheet. For example, if the sample is scratched by 4 but not by 3, then the hardness range is 3 to 4.
- Learn the streak of the sample by clicking the Streak Test tab. Record the streak color in your data sheet.
- Learn if the sample is magnetic by clicking the Magnet Test tab. Record the result in your data sheet.
- Learn if the sample effervesces by clicking the Hydrochloric Acid Test tab. If the sample reacts with acid, it effervesces. Record your results in your data sheet.
- Repeat steps two through four for samples 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, and 20.
- Use the mineral identification key to name each sample and record the name in your data sheet.