International Negotiation as Global Leadership Skill
Analyzing international negotiation can provide important insights for being effective global leaders. Multi-cultural negotiating skills are increasingly necessary to effectively manage multinational network organizations. Multi-cultural skills are increasingly necessary for effectively leading domestic organizations as well.
For the first paragraph of your posting, discuss how international negotiation might help international leaders acquire the knowledge and skill necessary in today’s global business environment.
For the second paragraph of your posting, select any one of the following bullet points and address all elements of your chosen bullet point. Select a different bullet point section than what your classmates have already posted so that we can engage several discussions on relevant topics. If all the bullet points have been addressed, then you may begin to re-use the bullet points with the expectation that varied responses continue.
- Flexibility is an important personal quality for negotiators and leaders to possess. How can negotiators be flexible? What are the dangers of being too flexible versus inflexible? What are the pros and cons of each approach?
- How can effective international negotiators find common ground in negotiations? What perspectives do negotiators use to look for common ground? What techniques might be used?
- As an international negotiator, you must understand that managing expectations is an everyday, ongoing skill that influences your client’s perceptions about your value as a trusted advisor. How can international negotiators increase their strength in the management of expectations?
- Discuss power distance in global negotiation or leadership. How can effective leaders use this knowledge to their advantage in the international negotiation process? Where might some cautions be for negotiators when it comes to power distance?
- Discuss the term “cultural baggage.” How does cultural baggage affect the negotiation process? Can you think of any cultural baggage a U.S. negotiator may bring to the international negotiation process?
The final paragraph (three or four sentences) of your initial post should summarize the one or two key points that you are making in your initial response.
Your posting should be the equivalent of 1 to 2 single-spaced pages (500-1000 words) in length