Option #2: Human Services Position Analysis
Explore the Internet and CSU Library regarding a specific human services position of your choosing (positions may include Child Protective Investigator, Targeted Case Manager, and Non-Profit Manager, for example). Write a paper about the position that addresses the following key items:
- In what types of agencies, organizations, or corporations (if applicable) would the position exist?
- What is the position title?
- What types of salaries and benefits are available to a person holding the position?
- What are the essential functions of this position?
- What types of ethical considerations arise on a regular basis for persons holding this position?
- Would a person holding the position be likely to encounter client resistance or reluctance? If so, how is resistance addressed?
- Discuss the types of diverse clientele a person holding the position commonly encounter?
- Does the position require continuing education and/or training? If so, what does this consist of?
- How might one holding this position avoid burnout or compassion fatigue?
- What types of technologies are used regularly to facilitate the position’s success? What types of demands and challenges does technology and the requirement of technical competence make on a person holding the position?
Additionally, imagine that you have an upcoming job interview for a similar position. As you prepare for your job interview, think about the following questions and add a concluding page that addresses why you would be a good candidate for the position. Use examples from your own professional life now and/or from the past:
- How would you use critical thinking in decision making and problem solving as a professional in this position?
- What are the three most important elements of personal and professional etiquette that you need to employ in this position?
- What would be your biggest communication strengths in this profession? What about your weaknesses?
- What strategies would you employ to stay on-task and on-time in this profession? How would you manage your professional goals?
This paper must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement, and a concluding paragraph that summarizes your major themes and restates your thesis in an expanded manner. Make sure your paper includes a summary and analysis of research materials, such as scholarly journals, professional articles, legal documents, government documents, legal decisions, media clips, software, measurement instruments Web sites, or personal communication.
Your paper should be 8 pages in length and conform to APA format. Include at least four scholarly references in addition to support your analysis and position.