Instructions: This is a 2 part assignment. First, you must do research on the internet. Locate a primary source that is directly related to United States history and is dated from 1600-1830. Second, fill out the primary source analysis worksheet below, based on your reading and analysis of your chosen primary source. You will be graded on the accuracy, depth, and completeness of your answers to the questions. For help with filling out the analysis worksheet, see the course home, section “About Primary Source Analysis.”
1.TYPE OF DOCUMENT:
_____NEWSPAPER _____PHOTOGRAPH _____BILL/LAW
_____LETTER _____TELEGRAM _____CONGRESSIONAL RECORD
_____POLTITCAL CARTOON _____PRESS RELEASE _____CENSUS REPORT
_____DIARY ENTRY _____REPORT _____OTHER (BE SPECIFIC):_______________________________
web address of the document:
2.DATE(S) OF THE DOCUMENT:
3.AUTHOR (OR CREATOR) OF THE DOCUMENT:
4.FOR WHAT AUDIENCE WAS THE DOCUMENT WRITTEN?
5.QUOTE 3 THINGS STATED IN THE DOCUMENT THAT YOU THINK ARE IMPORTANT AND EXPLAIN WHY EACH IS IMPORTANT:
6. EXPLAIN WHY YOU THINK THIS DOCUMENT WAS WRITTEN:
7.WHAT EVIDENCE IN THE DOCUMENT HELPED YOU TO KNOW WHY IT WAS WRITTEN?
8.LIST AND EXPLAIN AT LEAST 2 THINGS THE DOCUMENT THAT TELL YOU ABOUT LIFE IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME THE DOCUMENT WAS WRITTEN.
9.WRITE A QUESTION TO THE AUTHOR THAT IS LEFT UNANSWERED BY THE DOCUMENT.
Instructions for completing the primary source analysis worksheet:
- Using the internet or the “click and explore” sections of the Open Stax text to conduct your research, locate a primary source document (see “primary and secondary sources” under the course home if you are unsure about the definition of a primary source).
- Your document should be directly related to American history and come from the time period described in the assignment.
- Answer the questions in the worksheet after you have read your chosen source carefully.
- Be sure to explain your answers in detail, especially in questions 5-8.
- This is a graded assignment, so be sure to put substantial effort into your answers. Your interpretation and analysis of the document is key to successfully completing this assignment.
- Copy and paste the worksheet into your word program, type in your answers in the space below each question, save the completed worksheet as a .rtf, .doc, or .pdf file, and then submit your completed worksheet using the blue “submit” button.
- Save a copy of your worksheet and don’t forget to provide a link to your source. This is essential, as I would like to see your source as well as your interpretation of the source in your worksheet. Remember, YOUR SOURCE MUST BE PRIMARY AND MUST BE FROM THE SPECIFIC TIME PERIOD REQUIRED. Secondary sources are not acceptable, you will be severely downgraded if your source is not primary or if it is not from the time period assigned.
- Be sure to see the completed sample worksheet and source provided in the course home.
- Some excellent web sites for finding primary sources are the modern history sourcebook, history matters, pbs.org, the national archives, and the american memory. These are only a few, there are numerous sites with primary sources in American History.