Pretend that you are a new teacher and that you are about to start
developing the class materials and assessment tools for your students.
Think about yourself for a moment…what are some characteristics and
experiences unique to you that you possibly do not want to influence
your development of these materials and assessments? Provide a list of
at least ten characteristics/experiences to share here.
I’ll give an example using a fictitious teacher:
- I am male
- I am Caucasian American
- I am in my fifties
- I am an avid reader
- I have an advanced vocabulary
- English is my first language
- I am well-versed in soccer
- I am middle class
- I grew up in the South
- I have travelled extensively
- I love animals
- I am a parent of three boys
- I am Catholic
- I have certain beliefs that are strong in nature (such as regarding marriage, drugs, abortion, etc.)
Once you’ve shared your list, pick two of the items that you’ve listed and expand on them:
- What, specifically, about this trait/experience do you think may inadvertently bias your materials/assessments?
- What can you do to counteract this possibility?
This is a discussion. Must be between 75 to 150 words, but may go longer depending on the topic. Please cite any sources if used.