Preliminary Research Design Presentation and Feedback [WLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion presentation, read Chapters 5 and 6 in the Creswell and Creswell textbook. You may also watch the videos about public speaking and making presentations in the Recommended Resources section. The Writing Center also has two helpful resources, How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation Links to an external site.and Presentation Tips Links to an external site.. These resources will assist you in the creation of an effective presentation of your research design.
This discussion will provide you with an opportunity to create a dynamic presentation of your ideas for your final research proposal. This type of presentation would be used in the professional world to request institutional review board (IRB) approval, and potentially to elicit funding for your research.
In your presentation, summarize the main points and ideas for your research design. Over the course of the week, you will have the opportunity to share feedback and suggestions with your classmates and instructor, as well as receiving constructive feedback which may assist you in improving your research proposal before submitting the Research Design Presentation assignment this week and the Final Paper next week.
For this discussion, create a 7-minute audiovisual presentation using PowerPoint, Prezi, Zoom, Jing, Screencast-o-matic or any other presentation software or format with which you feel comfortable. Provide either closed captioning or a transcript of the presentation for accessibility.
The content of the presentation must include the following:
A brief introduction
- Devise a specific research question related to the topic you chose in Week 1.
- Explain the importance of the topic and research question.
A brief literature review
- Evaluate published research studies on your topic that you found during your work on the Annotated Bibliography assignment last week and identify two relevant published studies.
A description of potential methods
- Create an appropriate research approach and design to investigate your research question based on what you have learned about research design options and requirements in this course.
- Provide a rationale for your design choices.
A discussion on ethical issues
- Apply ethical standards to the proposed research and identify potential ethical issues that would apply. Explain how you plan to address these issues.
- Summarize the main points of the presentation and reiterate why the proposed research is important and why it should be carried out.
In your initial discussion post, introduce your presentation and provide either an attached presentation file or a link to the place where your recorded presentation is stored online. To ensure that colleagues can access the information in your presentation even if they are unable to view the presentation due to technical difficulties, attach your transcript and any supplemental material (such as your reference list) to your initial post.
Note: This assignment requires that you produce a visual presentation, supply a spoken audio narrative, and listen to the audio narrative of others. You are also asked to provide a transcript of your presentation. If you have a documented disability accommodation that might interfere with your ability to complete this assignment you may contact your instructor to develop a comparable alternative assignment. If you have other issues that you feel may be a barrier to your ability to complete this course or this assignment please contact the Office of Access and Wellness at: