Baccalaureate education includes the development of professional values and value-based behavior (AACN, 2008). Ethics define professional ethics and their importance in the healthcare environment. The American Nurses Association has approved 13 standardized languages that support nursing care. The benefits of standardized language include: better communication among nurses and other healthcare providers, increased visibility of nursing interventions, enhanced data collection to evaluate nursing care outcomes, and improved patient care. It is the responsibility of the nurse to know and understand standardized terminology.
In a 4-5 page reflection paper, assess your nursing career through “appreciative inquiry” (Billings & Kowalski, 2008).
- Drawing on your own life stories and experiences, what does a nursing career meant to you?
- How does your nursing practice parallel the ANA (2015) Code of Ethics? List 4 specific examples from the Code of Ethics.
- Why is consistent and standardized nursing language necessary for care in today’s healthcare environment and how does it relate to the Code of Ethics?
- What motivates you to remain in the nursing profession? Give an example through a personal story and what you learned that motivates you as a registered nurse.
- Develop 3 short-term and 3 long-term goals that emphasize your unique strengths.
- How will a BSN degree impact your short-term and long-term goals?
- Be creative and talk about your personal journey as a nurse. Include a personal nursing philosophy in the reflection.
Readings & Resources
- Chapter 7 – Ethics: Basic Concepts for Professional Nursing Practice in Black, B. P. (2019). Professional nursing: Concepts & challenges.
- American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements
- Winland-Brown, J., Lachman, V. D., & Swanson, E. O. (2015). The new “code of ethics for nurses with interpretive statements” (2015): Practical clinical application, part I. MEDSURG Nursing, 24(4), 268–271.
- Billings, D., & Kowalski, K. (2008). Appreciative inquiry. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 39(3), 104.
- The ICN Code of Ethics for Nurses
- Moore, C. (2019). What is appreciative inquiry? (definition, examples, & model).
- All submissions should have a title page and reference page.
- Utilize a minimum of two scholarly resources.
- Adhere to grammar, spelling and punctuation criteria.
- Adhere to APA compliance guidelines.
- Adhere to the chosen Submission Option for Delivery of Activity guidelines.
- 4 to 5-page paper. Include title and reference pages.