Mary McHugh mourns her slain fiance Sgt. James Regan at the Arlington National Cemetery on May 27, 2006, the Memorial Day weekend. Regan, a U.S Army Ranger from Long Island, was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in February. This was the first time McHugh had visited the grave since the funeral. When he died, Regan was on his fourth combat deployment – twice in Afghanistan and twice in Iraq.
“Memorial Day at Arlington”. John Moore.
Write a visual reflection on the above image seen in the source.
In your visual reflection, be sure to complete the following requirements:
- Consider and identify the context.
- What ideas and impressions does the photograph express? Show these ideas and impressions by providing support from the photograph. Consider details from the photo and the photographer’s choices.
- Develop a critical response for this assignment.
- You must answer in prose.
- Your response should have a strong unifying effect.
Use the details and examples in Lessons: Visuals Concepts to help you complete this assignment as this information will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Your composition will be graded according to the rubric provided below:
Ideas and Impressions