Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 8 in your text as well as the article by Allemand, Steiger, and Hill (2013), and view the The Big Personality Test video. In addition to the required resources, go to the Ashford University Library and research a minimum of one scholarly source on the trait model of personality and one scholarly resource on the big five theory of personality.
It is recommended that you go to the The Big Five Personality Test and complete the free, confidential personality test that is based on the big five theory. The results of this test may be used to aid in the completion of this assignment. Please note that you do not need to register or give any personal information to obtain your results from this website. After you have completed the assessment, click on the “No, just give me my results” link. This link will take you to a page that will tell you how you scored on each of the five traits in this theory.
In the first part of this assignment, you will provide an overview of the trait model of personality in which you identify at least one principal theorist associated with the model. Briefly compare and contrast the basic assumptions of this model and the psychodynamic model of personality regarding the difference between healthy and unhealthy personalities. Use your research as well as this week’s required resources to support your statements.
The Big Five Model (also known as the Five Factor Model) is the prevailing theory in the trait model of personality. In the second part of your paper, identify and describe each of the five traits included in the big five model: extroversion, agreeableness, conscienciousness, neuroticism, and openness to experience. If you chose to take the online The Big Five Personality Test, reflect on your results from the test and discuss how you scored on each of the five traits. If you chose not to take the online test, use the assigned readings, video, and your research to explain how the five trait theory describes your personality.
- Must be five to six double-spaced pages in length (not including the title page and references page) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library in addition to the required resources for the assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.