Imagine that the cybercrime forensics lab where you work just received approval to purchase a new software suite to aid investigations. Your supervisor asks you to create a proposal comparing three leading computer forensic software utilities and to recommend which one you would purchase based on your research.
Research three leading computer forensic software utilities that feature an entire suite of tools using the Internet. Consider the following categories while researching the forensic software utilities:
- Cost per license purchased
- Operating systems the suite can analyze, such as MicrosoftÂ® WindowsÂ®, UNIXÂ®, and LinuxÂ®
- Number of included separate features, such as disk imaging, disk cloning, MD5 hash algorithm, or SHA hash algorithms
- Availability of password-cracking utilities
- Availability of drive-wiping utilities
- Ability of the software to use a Known File Filter (KFF), such as Innocent Images
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word proposal comparing the three software utilities you found and which utility you recommend purchasing. Include the following in your proposal:
- Compare the three software utilities.
- Describe how digital evidence is extracted using the software utilities.
- Explain how these software utilities can be used to apply forensic science to computers.
- Explain which of the three software utilities you recommend purchasing.
- Describe why you recommend this software utility.
Create a 7- to 10-slide MicrosoftÂ® PowerPointÂ® presentation, with detailed speaker notes, to explain the findings discussed in your proposal. Use complete sentences, with correct grammar and punctuation, to fully explain each slide as if you were giving an in-person presentation.
Format your proposal and presentation consistent with APA guidelines.