You are presented with a 52-year-old female patient. She is experiencing acute discomfort from gall stone symptoms for the fourth time in 8 years. The condition has responded to nonsurgical treatment in the past, but each subsequent time is a slower and more painful recovery. She is underinsured, and the cost of a surgery would be beyond her means without some sort of write-off or assistance. However, her family makes too much to qualify for Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS).
Examine this case, using each of the following principles in turn as a possible guide to your actions:
- The principle of utility: Bring about the greatest good with the least harm.
- The principle of equality: Everything is distributed equally.
- The principle of need: Those with greatest need get the greatest share.
- The principle of contribution: Everyone receives in proportion to what they put in.
- The principle of effort: Those who work hardest get the most.
- The principle of autonomy: Rational individuals are self-determining, and nothing is forced or coercive.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected. One to two paragraphs per principle.