The focus of the capstone project is to solve a contemporary social and criminal justice issue through the application of information from a variety of related fields, which may include sociology, law, psychology, and ethics. In developing a proposed solution to a modern social and criminal justice issue, you are encouraged to use scholarly and primary sources, multimedia, and interviews with professionals in the field (if possible) to identify and devise a workable plan.
Topic: Wrongful Convictions
Thesis: Wrongful convictions has led to many innocent people who have spent years incarcerated. There are programs and reforms that can help with overturning these convictions, which will allow innocent people to be exonerated.
We have seen too often innocent people being wrongfully convicted for crimes they didn’t commit. In my opinion there’s not one thing that’s the determining factor in these wrongful convictions, however, just to name a few causes such as evidence being withheld (vital DNA), police corruption, and or unreliable witness testimony. Too many innocent people are currently incarcerated due to the negligence in the justice system.
With issues such as wrongful convictions I believe there needs to be more push for more innocence reforms. I feel as if videotaping not just the interrogations but from the initial moment the officer makes contact with the suspect, which would benefit both. I also think defense attorneys should be visiting the crime scenes and seeing what evidence was collected to be assist them in their cases. The defense and prosecuting attorneys should have the rights to interview witnesses from each side before they are presented in trial.
Within the Final Capstone Project, complete the following:
Identify a clear thesis statement to address your chosen criminal and social justice issue.
Summarize your chosen social and criminal justice issue.
- Propose the resolution to the social and criminal justice issue.
- Examine the operations of the criminal justice system as it relates to your chosen issue and resolution. This may include operations related to crime scene investigation techniques and security; the collection, preservation and presentation of evidence; and processes related to correctional institutions, incarceration, and release.
- Analyze how the criminal and social justice theories (in relation to the United States Constitution) and landmark U.S. Supreme Court decisions impact your chosen issue and support your resolution.
- Explain how social and criminal justice systems promote social equality and fairness for all and how this impacts your issue and resolution. Consider how poverty, racism, and religion apply to contemporary social and criminal justice.
- Assess how the centralization of criminal justice agencies in the United States, The Patriot Act, the U.S. Homeland Security Act, and international aspects of social and criminal justice impact your issue and resolution.
- Identify and describe at least two careers in criminal justice (existing or to-be-created) for agencies that may be involved in addressing the issue and resolution you have chosen.
The paper must be at least 20 pages in length, excluding title and reference pages, and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least ten scholarly resources.
Writing the Final Capstone Project
The Final Capstone Project:
- Must be at least 20 double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least ten scholarly resources
- Must document all sources in APA style
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style