Jamal, a straight A junior in High School, was recently
involved in a physical fight with another student in the corridor of the
school. Juan is a recovering alcoholic who has absenteeism issues and
poor grades. Although Juan was held back in sixth grade, and struggles
with social situations, he has never been involved in any disciplinary
action at school. However, Jamal recently completed 90 hours of
community service after being convicted of disorderly conduct and simple
assault from an unrelated incident.
The school video recordings show Jamal instigating the
fight, yet student witnesses reported to school officials and law
enforcement that Juan was the instigator. During the investigation, a
drug dog alerted law enforcement to the possibility that a controlled
substance was present in Juan’s locker. When confronted by law
enforcement, Juan claimed Jamal planted the drugs in Juan’s locker to
hide Jamal’s own habit. Regardless, Juan was placed under arrest. An
external security camera recorded a verbal altercation between law
enforcement and a group of young adults who felt Juan’s arrest was
You are the District Attorney’s Investigator and have
been asked to evaluate this situation as pursuant to Juan’s upcoming
trial. Compose a 3-6 page paper to address the following:
- Identify, define, examine, and discuss the crimes potentially committed by Juan and Jamal.
- Identify the victim(s) in this scenario. Outline the rights of the victim(s) as they related to social responsibility.
- Compare and contrast the legal issues that could arise for the police department in this scenario.
- Analyze how societal diversity might
have played a role in this case. Discuss ethical practices utilized by
law enforcement that help them to maintain their objectivity throughout
their investigation of this incident, Jamal and Juan’s backgrounds, and
the underlying interests of social order.
- Evaluate the use of technology, such as video tape recordings, as demonstrative evidence in the courtroom.
Compile your paper, including all information
researched, and prepare a submission paper in accordance with the
- This paper is to be in APA format with a cover sheet and reference page at the end.
- The length of the paper is to be a
minimum of three pages and no more than five pages. This length does not
include your cover or reference sheets.
- Remember that APA font is Times New Roman, font size 12.