- PAPER: Advanced GE courses require a minimum of 3000 words of writing, including in- class (discussion posts) and out-of-class assignments (research paper). In this course, you will write 1 term paper. Follow these instructions for the paper:
- Choose 5 DIFFERENT CASE STUDIES (they should be the case studies reviewed in class).
- You are to analyze ALL 5 of the case studies using ONLY ONE of the following ethical theories: Kantian Deontology, Utilitarianism, Virtue Ethics, Rawls theory, Nozick’s theory* or Marxism.
- Before you provide any case study analysis, provide a section that accurately describes the theory you will be using.
- TIP: Avoid using phrases like: “In my opinion,” “I believe,” “Ethics is difficult and not certain, so it is hard to tell if this ethical theory is right or not.” This is an ETHICS course, so don’t do or say anything in your ETHICS PAPER that would undermine ethics as a discipline. Further, you are making an ARGUMENT in this paper, as such there is no room for “personal opinions” or “feelings.” Just turn those opinions and feelings into statements of fact.
- This paper should be no less than 8 full pages and no more than 10. This paper should be well written, typed, doubled spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman (Or equivalent font). No cover sheet needed. Include proper citation.
- Submit the paper on the day it is due no later than midnight (Pacific Time) on Canvas. The Due Date is listed below.
+It is highly recommended that students who NEED help with English paper-writing make use of available resources.
*Note: The original syllabus said “Ethics of Care” instead of “Nozick’s Theory.” I have made the appropriate changes here. In other words, do not do care ethics. You may do Nozick’s theory of entitlement.