Written Assignment 1: Option 4
Chapter 4 describes prenatal development from conception to birth, with an extensive discussion of prenatal risk factors. Video lesson 4, “The Beginnings: Prenatal Development and Birth,” complements the text and follows the experiences of an expectant family through the prenatal process to the live birth of their second child.
- Outline the major periods and developments of pregnancy, from conception to birth.
- Approximately what percentage of pregnancies result in living newborn babies? Discuss.
- When is the developing organism most at risk for developing birth defects? What is the role of folic acid in preventing birth defects?
- What are teratogens? Identify at least four categories of teratogens.
- What is the difference between a low-birth-weight baby and a small-for-gestational-age baby? What is the role of poverty?
- Describe the process of a normal, uncomplicated birth and tests for assessing the newborn’s condition.