You will write a five-paragraph essay (an introduction, three supporting paragraphs, and a conclusion). Your essay should be 450–500 words long. For this assignment, use APA Style formatting.
In your paper,
- Introduce your essay. Remember, an introduction is like a movie trailer. It previews your essay for your audience (whoever reads your writing). This would be a good place to discuss how you feel about reading in general.
Describe your experience learning to read.
- Do you remember when you first learned to read? What was that experience like? As you’ve gotten older, has reading been easy or difficult for you?
Develop examples of how you prepare to read.
- Do you take any special steps, or do you dive right in? Does it depend on what or why you are reading? What factors cause you to change your reading approach?
Discuss your college-level reading experience thus far.
- What are your thoughts on reading in college so far? Have you felt ready? Have you been surprised? What were your expectations? How do you feel about the books, textbooks, and articles assigned in your classes? Do you embrace reading for class or avoid it? Do you skim or skip sections? Do you skip reading altogether?
- Conclude your essay. Remember a conclusion summarizes the main points you made in your essay. This would be a good place to remind your audience how you feel about reading, how easy or difficult your journey has been, and how you feel about reading at the college level.